International Earth Day: 6 climate-related actions
23 April 2020 Sustainability
April 22nd marked the 50th anniversary of the first Earth Day.
To celebrate it, we decided to launch our first tree planting initiative. On April 22nd and 23rd, we will plant a tree for every person who invests in Clim8 to become a shareholder in our company during our crowdfunding campaign.
As we navigate the uncertainty and fear generated by the global pandemic, Earth Day seems to have taken a back seat. António Guterres, Secretary-General at the United Nations said “While the impact of the coronavirus is both immediate and dreadful, there’s an even deeper emergency — the planet’s unfolding environmental crisis… Climate disruption is approaching a point of no return,”
Guterres proposed 6 climate-related actions to shape the recovery of the climate crisis :
- Green Transition – As we spend huge amounts of money to recover from the coronavirus, we must deliver new jobs and businesses through a clean, green transition. (And as more people move towards products and services that are making a difference on climate change, at Clim8 we believe that their value will also increase in time).
- Taxpayers’ money – When used to rescue businesses, taxpayers’ money should be tied to achieving green sustainable growth.
- Fiscal firepower – In the words of Guterres, this must drive a shift from the grey to green economy, and make societies and people more resilient.
- Public funds – They should be used to invest in the future, not the past, and flow to sustainable sectors and projects that help the environment and the climate. Fossil fuel subsidies must end, and polluters must start paying for their pollution.
- Climate risks and opportunities – These elements should be incorporated into the financial system as well as all aspects of public policy making and infrastructure.
- Community – We need to work together as an international community. Climate change, just like viruses, does not respect national boundaries. And we need to come together to solve on of the biggest challenges that the world has ever faced.
As Guterres said,
“We need to turn the recovery into a real opportunity to do things right for the future, demanding a healthy and resilient future for people and planet alike”.
With Clim8, we want to support sustainable businesses that make an actual difference on climate change. The path to a greener world will be paved by greener companies. Join us on our journey.